Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Scarf v 2.0 and 2.5

Ok, so all I want is a stupid Christmas scarf. Is that really so much to ask? Now, I know what you are thinking, "just go out and buy a scarf already". Well friends, I can't do that. It would be just too easy and totally not blog worthy. So, I thought I would try again. Good news, this time it worked. I think I can totally pull off the scarves I made. Yep, I made two. I am such a freaking overachiever it is crazy.




I based my scarves on a couple tutorials I saw on Pinterest. The first is the basic scarf http://thepinkpeonyoflejardin.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-frilly-scarf-from-t-shirt.html Watch the video, it is totally helpful.


Then I took the basic scarf and used the braiding technique found here http://www.putapuredukes.com/2011/09/braided-scarf-tutorial.html


I think the results were pretty good. I'm writing a quasi-tutorial for what I did because some tutorials I found for the basic scarf were a bit confusing. However, the two I posted above did a great job.


The supplies.

I used two size XL t-shirts I got from Hobby Lobby. If you used an XXL the scarf would be longer, but as I didn't know how this would turn out I didn't want to spend the extra money. These shirts were about $3.50 but I used my 40% off coupon on them (ok, I bought one and a friend "bought" one) so they were really cheap.


I also used my rotary cutter and quilting ruler to cut the strips. Now, as I understand it the great thing about these scarves is that you don't have to be exact or neat in your cutting. I think that is great, but that isn't how I roll. I need presision in my life.


Step 1: Lay out your t-shirt and cut the bottom hem off the t-shirt just above the stitching.



Step 2: Cut the t-shirt into strips about 2 inches wide. Use all of the t-shirt up to the armpits. Basically, you are just using the body of the t-shirt.



Step 3. Holding the rings of t-shirt stretch them like big rubber bands until they just won't stretch anymore. You will be amazed at how much they will stretch. This stretching rolls the edges so you don't have to worry about anything fraying. Step 4: Combine as many loops and colors as you want to create a standard infinity type scarf OR go on to step 5.

Step 5: Follow the instructions in the second link above for braiding the scarf.
Step 6: Wear and enjoy! I hope to have pictures of this step soon. I know just the outfit I want to wear my scarf with, but I have to do laundry first.


I do think I will end up stitching the braids together in the braided scarf because they are a bit heavy and gap a bit when it is worn. Other than that I think it turned out pretty good.


Oh, I almost forgot to tell you how to keep them together. Just use a scrap of your t-shirt to tie them together. I tied the end loops together for the braided one so it would lay right, but just tied the regular one together. Does this make sense?


I am actually really excited to wear this scarf. I will totally look fashionable(ish).


And yes I know I'm not really an overachiever, I just had more loops then I knew what to do with, but go with me on this one.


For those that are interested, here are some future blog topics to look forward to...

Thoughts on my first trip to Vegas (the reason there was a lapse between posts)

Pinterest Project Party (or Crap My Friends Make)

What I really think of Hobby Lobby

Coffee sleeve and coaster

A possible challenge from you, my readers!


Have a crafty day!


















No comments:

Post a Comment