Monday, December 19, 2011

S'More Popcorn

The other night I made Christmas Crack. Seriously, it was highly addictive. Now, I know there are many types of Christmas Crack including: ranch crackers, any type of Chex mix, caramel puff corn, those Nilla Wafer sandwiches with peanut butter in the middle and covered in chocolate that my husband's coworker brought over the other night, but this batch was new to me.

I started with Hot Chocolate Popcorn (http://cookiesandcups.com/hot-chocolate-popcorn/)from cookiesandcups as my inspiration. I mean it is popcorn and hot chocolate, how could you go wrong?

While this recipe is super easy and probably really great, I had to make a few substitutions because, well I'm lazy. I really didn't want to have to make popcorn (I don't know why I didn't think of microwave) so I was going to buy a bag of popped popcorn at the store. Well, then I saw a bag of puffcorn and thought "hmmm". So, after a quick call to a trusted friend, I bought the the puffcorn instead of the popcorn.

I also spent a lot of time looking at hot cocoa powder and trying to decide if I should buy the canister or the packets. The packets were way less expensive, so that I went with.


The original recipe also calls for the addition of a milk chocolate drizzle once it is all mixed up. Again, I didn't do that because I'm lazy.


But here is what I did...


Supplies


1 bag puffcorn

1 packet hot chocolate mix (next time I might use 1 1/2)

1 package vanilla almond bark

About 1/3 bag of mini-marshmallows



And to answer your question, yes I did forget to take the picture before I started so that is why there is only 1/2 a bag of puffcorn and 1/2 a package of almond bark shown.



I had to divide the batch in 2 because I don't have a bowl big enough to mix a whole bag of puffcorn. But if you have a big bowl or a large foil pan, do it all in one batch.


Mix the puffcorn and marshmallows together. Melt the almond bark in the microwave. It took me about 2 minutes, stopping after every 30 seconds to stir to melt 1/2 a package. Pour the almond bark over the puffcorn and mix to coat. Spread on wax paper and sprinkle with hot chocolate powder. You could stir and add more hot chocolate powder.



This was a great treat. I really liked it. Next time I might add M&Ms to get that milk chocolate effect.


I tried saving a little in a baggie and it got stale and kind of gross. I'm not sure how well this would keep. It would probably do ok in an airtight container or in the refrigerator. I took mine to work so I didn't have to worry about any leftovers.


The blog picture I took inspiration from was beautiful. My finished product, not so much.

1 comment:

  1. I am so trying this!!! Thanks for posting about your new crap (I mean CRACK!) recipe for the holidays! Your substitutions were good and the stuff is highly addictive!

    ReplyDelete